All Things Vegetarian

As often as possible I will be sharing information about vegetarian recipes and topics related to vegetarianism . I hope you will enjoy them and be able to share them with friends and family.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Coconut Red Lentil Soup

   193 Comments

Two of my favorite neighbors hosted a soup party the other night. It was an inspiring affair - winter night, big pots of simmering soups and stews, house full of chatty, friendly people. Part of what I liked was the simple premise. The hosts (David & Holly) made a number of soups, guests were asked to arrive with their drink of choice and one thing to share - salad, appetizer, or something sweet. One of the vegetarian soups was a beautiful shade of yellow-orange. The color I see when I close my eyes and turn my face toward the sun. It was a light-bodied, curry-spiced coconut broth thickened with cooked red lentils and structured with yellow split peas. When I asked Holly to tell me about it, she mentioned it was based on an Ayurvedic dal recipe in the Esalen Cookbook, a favorite of hers. She happened to have an extra copy of the Esalen book, and sent me home with my belly full, a new cookbook tucked under my arm, and a few suggestions related to the soup.



View the Original article

Labels: ,