All Things Vegetarian

As often as possible I will be sharing information about vegetarian recipes and topics related to vegetarianism . I hope you will enjoy them and be able to share them with friends and family.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Graham Crackers

Thanks to everyone who expressed their support in my last post. Battle stations!

This is a recipe I have been meaning to post since I started my blog. Typically, store bought are rather stale tasting and too crunchy, but the homemade version reminds one of shortbread. I prepared a batch of these in preparation for a mixed berry cheesecake recipe that caught my attention, which I will be sharing with my readers soon. Even my friend Fenris, who was rather sceptical about , was pleasantly surprised. Easy to make and just plain good on their own but a perfect alternative for recipes calling for crumbled graham cracker crumbs.


2 cups of spelt flour (or unbleached white flour)
1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 cup of softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup of sesame oil
1/4 cup of water

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Transfer the dough to an unsided cookie sheet, or alternately, the underside of a baking sheet. Flour a rolling pin and add a bit of flour to the dough and roll out to desired thickness - roughly 1/2 inch. Add more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Lightly score the crackers two inches apart with a paring knife. Prick with a fork in even lines. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes, and then cut on the scored lines. Crush up for your favorite graham cracker treat or just enjoy them as is.



View the Original article

Labels: ,